Hebrew Exegesis: Judges
A reading course in classical (biblical) Hebrew. Sample texts will be read from the book of Judges. AL: Advanced Languages. This course follows Introductory Biblical Hebrew. Its goal is to improve students’ ability to read and interpret texts beyond the level of introductory grammar. Building on previous course work, students will deepen their understanding of the language of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament in the areas of lexis, syntax, and discourse. This in turn will enhance students’ understanding of the text in its historical, canonical, and theological context, as well as their ability to interpret and apply the text for people today. The primary emphasis will be on reading, translating, and interpreting biblical texts, although further lessons in more advanced grammar will be included.
- To expand knowledge of Hebrew, beyond the basic vocabulary acquired in Introductory Hebrew, to include all words occurring more than 50 times
- To understand contemporary issues in Hebrew language study which affect translation and interpretation
- To understand intermediate level issues related to the history, morphology, syntax and discourse of Biblical Hebrew
- To understand basic issues in the text critical analysis of the Hebrew Bible
- To embrace the value of understanding the original language in exegeting the biblical text
- To grow in appreciation of the aesthetic value of Hebrew literature
- To deepen one’s relationship with God through interacting with Scripture
- To enrich one’s understanding of another culture through knowledge of that culture’s language
- To refine one’s ability to read Biblical Hebrew following the Massoretic accentuation
- To further develop skill in translating texts from the Hebrew Scriptures with attention to key features that influence interpretation
- To become proficient in rudimentary text critical analysis of the biblical text.
- To engage with the Scriptures in their original language and context
- To develop expertise in the use of intermediate and advanced grammars and lexicons in translating Hebrew texts
- To exegete a narrative passage of biblical Hebrew with attention to translation and the meaning of the passage.