This course focuses attention on recent research on the prophets and prophetic books of the Old Testament. Key streams of research over the past few decades will be investigated with the opportunity for students to engage key passages utilizing new methodologies.
- To have a thorough knowledge of critical studies on the history, sociology, literature, and theology associated with the prophetic books of the Old Testament.
- To understand the key methodologies which have been used for study of these figures and books in the Old Testament and ancient Israel and Judah.
- To gain a deeper appreciation for the theological potential of the prophetic books for Christian believers
- To be challenged to deeper personal faith in God by the prophets and their message.
- To be able to access the best resources for the study of the prophets and prophetic books
- To employ recent methodologies for the study of the prophets and their associated literature
- To continue to increase Hebrew translation skills
- To hone the ability to critically review literature and written papers in an oral setting