This course is a continuation of OT 1B03. It assumes that the student has an awareness of the material taught in that course.
Although OT 2C03 can function as a self-contained, totally asynchronous online course, synchronous on-site workshops will be available for local students in addition to synchronous online seminars for local or distance students in order to allow them to clarify concepts, ask questions, and interact with the professor and other students. These will be arranged as needed and as convenient for the students and professor.
This course develops the students’ understanding of biblical Hebrew morphology and syntax in order to enable them to translate and sight read Hebrew text and understand it more fully. It also further develops the students’ Hebrew vocabulary. This course will greatly enhance their capacity for study in the biblical texts and prove a tremendous aid to interpretation.
- To understand and recognize the forms (morphology) of Hebrew words as they are used in various ways in sentences
- To deepen understanding of Hebrew syntax/grammar
- To continue to build a solid basic vocabulary of Classical Hebrew words
- To embrace the value of understanding the original language in exegeting the biblical text
- To enrich one’s understanding of another culture through knowledge of that culture’s language
- To deepen one’s relationship with God through interacting with Scripture.
- To engage with the Scriptures in their original language and context
- To be able to translate most Hebrew passages into English in a way that reflects their original meaning
- To develop the ability to read directly from the Hebrew Scriptures
- To develop skills in using grammars and dictionaries when translating and interpreting Hebrew texts