This course is a continuation of OT 1G03 and continues the journey of learning Hebrew with the aim of enhancing the student’s capacity for study in the biblical texts and for interpretation of these texts. Building on the previous course, students will learn more grammar, syntax, and vocabulary of the language of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. There will be continued emphasis on morphology (words and their forms) and syntax (how words fit together to make coherent sentences). Students will also continue to acquire a broad vocabulary for reading and translation and more skill will be developed in the use of lexicons. Pronunciation and oral reading will be practiced. The knowledge acquired should enable the student to read the simple prose and poetry of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament in its original language.
- To continue to build a solid basic vocabulary of Classical Hebrew words
- To understand more of the basic forms of Hebrew words as they are used in various ways in sentences
- To further understand the use of grammars and dictionaries in translating Hebrew texts
- To embrace the value of understanding the original language in exegeting the biblical text
- To enrich one’s understanding of another culture through knowledge of that culture’s language
- To deepen one’s relationship with God through interacting with Scripture.
- To further develop skill in translating texts from the Hebrew Scriptures
- To engage with the Scriptures in their original language and context