Website Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
About Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
Based in Etobicoke, Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) equips churches and their leaders as they engage in their mission from God in their community. Comprised of over 300 churches, CBOQ is training, equipping and caring for pastors. We recognize that mission is not just evangelism, but also includes promoting justice, social welfare, healing, education and peace in the world. It is a holistic approach that expresses care for both the needs of the human soul and the social needs that affect all of life. We are helping to plant fresh expressions of faith, strengthening existing churches and connecting them with the tools and opportunities they need to thrive. We are serving the next generation by creating resources and experiences for young people and their leaders to expand their love of God and love of each other. We’re telling our churches’ stories to encourage and inspire them, building up our whole family through the good news of what Christ is accomplishing through us. We love and care for our churches and leaders. We love and care for our employees. We are warm and welcoming; we take the time to listen and genuinely understand; we have empathy during tough times, and we make a positive difference in one another’s lives daily. We develop a servant spirit as a significant part of who we are in Christ.
The Accountant is part of the Finance and Administration Team. The overall mandate of this team is to champion the vision, mission and values of CBOQ to our member churches, staff and volunteers. To that end, this position performs key accounting responsibilities and analysis for CBOQ
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Finance and Administration, responsibilities include: accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial accounting, and maintaining the certificate loan program.
- Accounts Receivable (AR) & Revenue Accounting
- Accounts Payable (AP)
- Financial Accounting
- Certificate Loan Program
- Live out CBOQ’s mission, vision, and values.
- Preparing accounting entries to record bank deposits, e-transfers, and other funding.
- Managing pre-authorized withdrawals for donations and mortgages.
- Preparing, distributing, and following-up on invoices as required.
- Processing invoices and credit card purchases, ensuring supporting documentation has authorized signatures, proper accounting coding, and complete information.
- Managing petty cash fund: provide reimbursement, account for usage, and replenish as needed.
- Integrating financial statements from Camp Kwasind into the CBOQ chart of accounts.
- Participating in year-end audit including preparing working papers and reconciliations, attending meetings, and answering queries.
- Reconciling and analysing AR sub-ledger to general ledger, AP sub-ledger to general ledger, and Certificate Loan sub-ledger to general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Reconciling and analysing various other asset and liability accounts on a periodic basis.
- Review Certificate Loan correspondence and prepare loan documentation.
- Preparing accounting entries to create/discharge loan liabilities and prepare interest payment batches.
- Preparing annual T5 slips at the beginning of each calendar year.
- A mature faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to serve through the church.
- Commitment to the mission, faith and core values of CBOQ.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree with a major/concentration in accounting/finance or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Enrolment in Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) program is an asset.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Working knowledge of Sage 300 system is an asset.
- Proven communication, organizational, planning, and administrative skills.
- Ability to manage multiple functions and prioritize workload to meet deadlines while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
- Will become, or is currently a member of, a local CBOQ congregation.
Qualified candidates may apply by May 8, 2023 to Yvette Kayode, HR Lead, through this link.
All candidates whose training, experience and aptitudes meet the requirements for the job will be considered, subject to acceptance of the CBOQ code of conduct policy. CBOQ welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job please visit baptist.ca.