Website Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
About Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec
Based in Etobicoke, Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) equips churches and their leaders as they engage in their mission from God in their community. Comprised of over 300 churches, CBOQ is training, equipping and caring for pastors. We are helping to plant fresh expressions of faith, strengthening existing churches and connecting them with the tools and opportunities they need to thrive. We are serving the next generation by creating resources and experiences for young people and their leaders to expand their love of God and love of each other. We’re telling our churches’ stories to encourage and inspire them, building up our whole family through the good news of what Christ is accomplishing through us. We love and care for our churches and leaders. We love and care for our employees. We are warm and welcoming; we take the time to listen and genuinely understand; we have empathy during tough times, and we make a positive difference in one another’s lives daily. We develop a servant spirit as a significant part of who we are in Christ.
The Executive Minister (EM) is a visionary leader who will lead member churches forward with vital and vibrant ministry to further Christ’s Kingdom. The EM will lead in developing transforming vision and implementing the mission of CBOQ to equip churches and leaders as they engage in their mission from God in their communities. Serving as chief executive officer, the EM gives visible, inspirational leadership, cultivates a sense of identity, directs the executive staff, oversees plans and initiatives to further our mission, and is actively involved in representing CBOQ in the wider Christian community. A passion for Christ and the Gospel, seeing people’s lives changed through faith in Jesus Christ and ongoing discipleship, and a strong understanding of Baptist polity is expected in this visionary leader.
- Vision – Experience in developing and executing an aspirational vision that unites members towards a common goal.
- Leadership – Works well with a wide range of individuals to provide support, coaching, encouragement and direction.
- Strategic Thinking – Analyzes the current issues faced by Christian non-profit organizations in order to develop current and long-term strategies.
- Service Orientation – Strives for excellence, delivering the highest quality support, care and resources possible to those served by CBOQ.
- Teamwork – Places high value on teamwork and establishes values and objectives that encourages team cohesiveness and collaboration.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of personal workload, as well as the workload of employees under his/her direction.
- Communication – Expresses and shares information with consistency and clarity.
- A mature faith in Jesus Christ and a commitment to serve through the church.
- Commitment to the mission, faith and core values of CBOQ.
- Commitment to historical Convention Baptist faith and polity.
- Passionate about making organizations work and thrive.
- Experience leading and forming organizations.
- Familiarity and experience with the multi-ethnic and urban/suburban/rural diversity of CBOQ.
- Excellent leadership, strategic thinking and communication skills.
- Vision, innovation and planning skills.
- Ability to get along with people in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Skilled in the development and empowerment of teams.
- Ability to manage conflict and offer strategies for resolution.
- Ability to inspire confidence.
- Will become, or is currently a member of, a local CBOQ congregation.
- Ability to travel in the CBOQ constituency and more widely as required to represent CBOQ.
- Undergraduate university degree.
- Graduate theological degree is strongly preferred.
- Pastoral experience and accreditation is an asset.
- At least 5 years experience leading a team.
- To lead and live out CBOQ’s vision, mission and values
- To serve as the chief executive officer of CBOQ, giving spiritual leadership and overall direction and support to executive staff to:
- Ensure support to pastors and churches
- Promote and facilitate the overall mission of CBOQ
- Cultivate leaders among pastors, ministry leaders, church boards and the next generation
- Foster relationships with and between churches, Associations and ministry partner organization
- To motivate and provide inspirational leadership and to cultivate a sense of identity within the constituency.
- To provide visible leadership to CBOQ through personal contact with the constituency.
- To develop and provide to the Board ideas, suggestions and recommendations to further the mission of CBOQ.
- To ensure the implementation of the policies and decisions of CBOQ and Board.
- To represent CBOQ in our various Christian networks and possibly the broader faith community as opportunities arise.
- To articulate our unique Baptist perspective on issues of social concern.
Qualified candidates may apply by November 18, 2022 to Yvette Kayode, HR Lead, through this link.
All candidates whose training, experience and aptitudes meet the requirements for the job will be considered, subject to acceptance of the CBOQ code of conduct policy. CBOQ welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job please visit baptist.ca.