Website Murray Street Baptist Church
This part-time, 20 hours-per-week, position focuses on ministry with youth and young families to develop active participants in God’s mission in the world as disciples of Jesus Christ and as engaged members of Murray Street Baptist Church. Effective youth and family ministry is a congregational effort which includes many branches of the church body, including the congregation at large, families of youth and young adults, Christian Education workers, sponsors, mentors, pastors and peers, as well as the church beyond our local congregation.
The Youth & Family Ministry Worker will provide leadership to this effort at MSBC. This will include developing new youth programs and overseeing and developing, in partnership with the Senior Pastor and the Missions and Outreach Committee, a strategy for reaching out to families across the city.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Visioning: Take ownership of MSBC’s Youth and Family ministry by working together with volunteers and other staff by rebuilding this ministry, paying close attention to the overall vision, mission and direction in partnership with a group of volunteers.
2. Relationship Building/Missional: Invest in the youth and families by building relationships with them. This includes attending and participating in church and YFM events. Inform senior pastor of needed pastoral care among target groups.
3. Discipling: Shape a congregational ministry where youth/young adults grow and deepen their relationship with God, by considering spaces for teaching, service and retreating; and increasing involvement with the congregation and the wider church. As a primary contact in the church for youth and young adults, help them integrate into the life of the church, and help the church learn to embrace their involvement.
4. Online presence: Bolster MSBC’s online connection within the developed youth and family segment of our church through social media.
5. Other expectations include (but are not limited to): being active in worship gatherings and life of the church, participating in staff and ministerial meetings, and overseeing the process of Abuse and Police Registry checks required of all volunteers who work with youth.
Education & Experience
1. College, university or seminary training in Bible, church planting and/or youth ministry.
2. Leadership skills and experience in youth ministry, either in a staff or volunteer capacity.
3. Experience in successfully providing leadership to volunteer groups.
4. Highly organized and with a demonstrated ability to establish priorities, plan, communicate, and execute/implement. Strong time management and organizational skills and abilities.
5. The ability to recognize the need for sound pastoral care to young adults, and families.
6. Strong communication skills (verbal, written, online, presentation).
1. Exhibit a Christ-like spirit and a passion for God. These qualities will be evidenced in the YFM Worker’s personal life, relationships and ministry. The Worker will nurture his/her inner self through a disciplined life of daily fellowship with God in prayer and Bible study.
2. A deep, personal faith in Jesus Christ and sound knowledge of Biblical truths and doctrine.
3. A mature Christian character.
4. A commitment to a Baptist expression of faith (as outlined in “This We Believe”).
5. A gift in connecting, and establishing meaningful relationships, with youth and young adults. A passion for youth and young families.
6. Models a love for the church and its ongoing success.
7. An openness to working with youth and families in the surrounding community.
8. Creative; collaborative; engaging; a team builder; high energy.
9. Flexible, friendly, approachable and honest. Deals with conflict directly, openly, honestly and graciously.
Other Position Details
1. Performance review processes are managed by the Staff Relations Committee.
2. Since much of Youth and Family ministry happens in the evening it is expected that this position would involve working up to 3 evenings in some weeks.
3. Specific hours and schedule to be determined at time of hiring.
Salary: $30,000/yr plus benefits (to be discussed). Position expected to begin September, 2022. Salary pro-rated throughout remainder of 2022.
Closing Date to apply: May 15, 2022
Contact: Barrie Burhoe,
Chair of Missions and Outreach Committee
175 Murray Street
Peterborough, Ontario K9H 2S7
Phone & Fax 705-745-4376 or 705-745-4744
firstname.lastname@example.org www.murraystreetlive.ca Twitter: @murraystbaptist
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com