Website Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
SCBC, THE CHURCH
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,500 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
The Pastor of Youth & Young Adults is responsible for providing spiritual and pastoral leadership for the youth and young adult ministry under the Cantonese Ministry. The ideal candidate is one who has a passion for and is committed to walking alongside with younger generation to provide spiritual and visionary leadership by creating authentic environments for fellowship, worship, biblical teaching, discipleship and evangelism. He/she will work with other Cantonese Ministry pastoral team, deacons and lay leaders collaboratively to help our younger generation come to KNOW Jesus, GROW in their relationship with Him, and GO out into the world to make a difference.
Youth and Young Adult Ministry:
· Provide pastoral insight, leadership and oversight in Youth and Young Adult Ministry
· In collaboration with the lay leadership team, create, implement and manage overall vision and strategy to grow, engage, empower and reach the youth and young adults in our community in person and online
· Build an environment and identify resources to help youth and young adults grow in their faith both online and in person
· Plan and execute leadership development and management that shape the culture and raise the leaders for youth and young adults
· Provide personal counselling to youth and young adults
· Provide ongoing recruitment, training, development, equipping and evaluation of all leaders within the youth and young adult ministry
· Partner with Outreach Ministry to create opportunities for outreaching un-churched next generations
Functional Ministry (to be determined):
· Provide pastoral leadership and direction on one or more of the functions in SCBC (worship, nurture, body life or outreach).
· The ministry will be determined by the strengths of the candidate and discussion with Cantonese Charge Pastor and Senior Pastor. The assigned ministry may change over time
· Recruit, lead & equip leaders to serve effectively in the functional ministry
· Provide operational guidelines for the functional ministry
General Pastoral Responsibilities
● Participate in general pastoral duties such as preaching, teaching, and other leadership roles as assigned by the Cantonese Ministry Charge Pastor.
● Provide clear communication with regards to ministry progress, results, and obstacles to the Cantonese Ministry Charge Pastor and the Cantonese Pastoral Team
● Assist in the development of annual budgets for his/her areas of responsibility with the input of his/her ministry team(s)
● Co-work with the Outreach Pastor and the Cantonese Ministry pastoral team to provide leadership in reaching out to the community
● Collaborate and work closely with current lay leaders in building up a Christ-centered, Scriptural-based church community of vibrant faith, hope and love
● Work and collaborate with the current Cantonese Ministry pastoral team to provide pastoral care and shepherd an Cantonese-speaking congregation of 800+ worshippers
● Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-generational evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendanc
Capabilities and Characteristics
1. Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4)
2. A proven passion to invite others into connection and community within the local church, its people and ministries.
3. Ability to think strategically and involve others in all levels of the connection process
4. Team player with strong servant-leadership and communication skills within a large congregational context
5. Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development. Ability to adapt to change, embrace innovation and creativity.
6. Outgoing, friendly, highly relational “people person” with a genuine faith that people gravitate towards. Humble, teachable spirit with high emotional intelligence.
7. Strong capacity for organization, managing conflicts, and problem solving
8. Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset
9. Willingness to get to know and do life together with leaders, always seeking to keep short accounts, care for, encourage, respect, encourage, and love each other.
10. Self-starter, trainer, recruiter and team builder. A continual learner.
11. Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices
Qualifications and Educational Requirements
1. 3 years of youth ministry experience
2. A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or its equivalent in theological education from an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
3. Proficient in Cantonese & English (written and orally). Spoken Mandarin an asset.
4. Eligibility to work in Canada
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to: email@example.com or by mail to:
Search Committee for Pastor of Youth & Young Adults
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “SCBC Pastor of Youth & Young Adults” in the subject line of your correspondence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org