Gordon L. Heath
Gord has been teaching the history of Christianity since 1999, and arrived at MDC in 2004. Besides teaching at MDC, he also serves as Director of the Canadian Baptist Archives, the official archives of the Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ).
He is an ordained minister with the CBOQ, having pastored in both Nova Scotia and Ontario. Gord has also served in a variety of leadership roles in local churches, working with both youth and adults. He continues to enjoy speaking and teaching in local churches, usually on some aspect of church history.
Gord's research interests lie particularly in the area of church-state and church-war issues, although recently he has begun exploring aspects of the persecuted church and questions surrounding the “post-Christian establishment” (or post-Constantinian) relationship between church and state in Canada and the West.
He has a number of research projects on the go at the moment, one of which is related to a research grant. His SSHRC Standard Research Grant is funding research into Canadian Protestant Churches and Constructions of Empire and Nation (1899-1945). This book project is ongoing. He also has a number of other smaller projects on the go, as well as two edited volumes that are in various stages of completion.
- The British Nation is Our Nation: The BACSANZ Baptist Press and the South African War, 1899-1902. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2017.
- A War with a Silver Lining: Canadian Protestant Churches and the South African War, 1899-1902. Montreal/Kingston/London/Ithaca: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2009.
- Doing Church History: A User-friendly Introduction to Researching the History of Christianity. Toronto: Clements Publishing, 2008.
- The Lost Gospel of Judas: Separating Fact from Fiction. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2007. Co-authored with Stanley E. Porter. Translated into Polish: Zaginiona Ewangelia Judasza: Fakty I Fikcje. Krakow: Wydawnictwo, 2008.
- American Churches and the First World War. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick Publications, 2016.
- Baptists and War: Essays on Baptists and Military Conflict, 1640s - 1990s. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick Publications, 2015. Co-edited with Michael Haykin.
- The Globalization of Christianity: Implications for Christian MInistry and Theology. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick Publications, 2015. Co-edited with Steve Studebaker.
Canadian Churches and the First World War. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick Publications, 2014.
- Canadian Churches and the First World War. Lutterworth, 2014.
- Baptists and Public Life in Canada. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick Publications, 2012. Volume One in the Canadian Baptist Historical Society Series. Co-edited with Paul Wilson.
- Baptism: Historical, Theological and Pastoral Perspectives. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick Publications, 2011. Co-edited with Jim Dvorak.