What is the role of the Holy Spirit in Christian life and ministry? This course explores answers to these questions. To do so it resources the biblical theology of the Spirit. It covers the historical development of pneumatology in the early-church, medieval period, and the modern period. It considers the rise of contemporary theologies and movements of the Holy Spirit—e.g., the Pentecostal movement—and what they mean for contemporary Christian thought and life.
- Know central texts for a biblical theology of the Holy Spirit.
- Know key Christian thinkers and theological traditions in the development of pneumatology.
- Know ways that pneumatology informs and transforms contemporary Christian life and ministry.
- Appreciate the role of the Holy Spirit in Christian life and ministry.
- Embrace a deeper understanding of the Holy Spirit’s identity and work.
- Develop a sense of the Spirit’s work in the world.
- Become familiar with significant texts in the history of Christian pneumatology.
- Identify and describe an area of development in your understanding of the Holy Spirit.
- Engage in the process of constructive theological reflection on the Holy Spirit.