McMaster Divinity College is delighted to welcome students from around the world. Our goal is to provide you with resources to ease the process of studying and moving to a new country. We look forward to meeting and working with you.

For more information about moving to Hamilton visit the following link.

Move to Hamilton

  • Programs & Admissions Requirements
  • Language Exams & WES Assessment

    If English is not your first language, you must provide proof of English proficiency by sumbitting a TOEFL or IELTS test score:

    • Minimum TOEFL score: 92
    • Minimum IELTS score: 7.0 in all categories


    You don’t need to provide proof of English proficiency if:

    • Your first language is English.
    • You have completed your post-secondary education in English. 
    • You have resided in Canada for over 4 years.


    If your documents are not in English, please provide an official translation. If you are unsure if you require a WES evaluation of your transcript, please contacts us with your unofficial transcript

    Contact us

  • View our Funding & Fees page
  • Submit Application

    We require the following items:

    • Application Form
    • Personal Statement
    • Transcripts
    • Reference
    • International Processing Fee
    • English Proficiency and WES assessment (if applicable)


    Start your Application

  • Financial Aid Application
  • Receive and Verify Documents

    When accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter and immigration document. Please read through them carefully and let us know if you require additional information or changes.

  • Apply for Study Permit
  • Find Housing Opportunities
  • Student Resources
  • FAQ
    • Are there scholarship for international students, pastors, ministers, etc.?
      • All students are encouraged to apply for financial aid each year. Financial aid is need and merit-based. You may view our funding and fees page, and apply on our website.
      • View EduCanada’s website for additional international scholarships.
    • What is UHIP, and can I opt-out?
      • UHIP is compulsory health insurance for all international students in Ontario. UHIP provides coverage for primary healthcare services, such as hospital, physician, surgery, and medical testing. View UHIP premiums to learn more about the cost. Visit UHIP’s website for more information about your coverage.
    • Can my spouse and/or children join me in Canada?
      • Please refer to IRCC’s website to determine if your child needs a study permit, and if your spouse is eligible for an open-work permit.
    • Can I study remotely and/or part-time?
      • All students on study permit are required to attend all classes in-person, and to study full-time. International students in the MDiv, MTS and Certificate programs can study remotely from their home country.
    • Am I eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) after my studies?
    • What if I don’t meet the admission requirements for my program?
      • Please speak to Admissions to learn more about your options. Some students enroll in some courses or a certificate to support their future reapplication.
    • Do I need to provide a TOEFL or IELTS test? Do you accept Duolingo or other proficiency tests? What is the minimum score requirement?
      • You may have to provide an English proficiency test score if English is not your first language. You may not have to take a test if any of the following applies to you:
        • You have completed post-secondary education in English.
        • You have been a resident in Canada for over 4 years.
        • We only recognize TOEFL and IELTS tests. Our minimum requirements are a TOEFL score of 92 or 7.0 in all IELTS categories. Please contact admissions if you have additional documentation of English proficiency.
    • Does McMaster Divinity College have on-campus housing?
      • We do not have on-campus housing at MDC. Our students often rent in Hamilton or nearby areas. Please refer to our Move to Hamilton page for assistance.
    • Do I need a letter of attestation?
      • Select Graduate Certificate students will receive a letter of attestation once they have been admitted to their program. Master’s and doctoral degree students do not require this letter.
    • What if my study permit takes longer than expected or is refused?
      • If you are waiting to hear from IRCC, you may begin your studies with us remotely from your home country until you are able to come to Canada. All accepted applicants will be able to defer their admission for one academic year without having to submit additional documents. Please keep admissions updated on your study permit process and let them know if you require any assistance.
    • I am unable to contact my previous institution for my transcripts. What can I do?
      • We require all your transcripts from your post-secondary education to have a good understanding of your academic history. While waiting for your transcripts to be sent from your institutions, you may submit your unofficial transcripts for review. Please note that you will receive a conditional letter of acceptance until we receive your final, official transcript.