The Art of Preaching
Tues 7:00 PM -9:00 PM
This course provides an overview of the theological character, goals, and methods of Christian proclamation in a congregational setting, giving particular attention to issues of
hermeneutics, interpretation, structure, delivery, and the relation of preaching to contexts of worship, discipleship, and mission.
- To introduce basic hermeneutical issues that apply to the process of moving from biblical and social exegesis to proclamation.
- To examine and evaluate the component elements of preaching and their respective contributions to effective communication.
- To explore appropriate methods and contexts for preaching, and their impact on style and presentation.
- To reflect on spiritual and ministerial identity as they apply to Christian proclamation.
- To help students identify their preferred style or styles of preaching, and gain confidence in public presentation.
- To evaluate representative forms and models of preaching in relation to students’ own ministries of preaching.
- To provide students with practice in the composition and delivery of sermons, together with opportunities for comprehensive peer evaluation.