Women In Christian History
Tues 3:30PM to 5:20PM
A survey and analysis of the roles and impact of women in the history of Christianity from the earliest churches to the modern period of global Christianity.
- to provide students with an understanding of how women have participated in, and contributed to, the life of the church over the centuries
- to help students place the contemporary debate over gender roles in the church in the larger historical context
- to explore – and ultimately appreciate – the diverse ways that women have served in the church
- to create an awareness of the breadth and diversity of the Church, and provide a sense of “place” within the many church traditions
- to develop in each student an ability to assess documents and situations from an historical perspective – and in particular, to be able to assess critically the various claims made about women in leadership throughout the church’s history