McMaster Divinity College will reopen for faculty and staff to return to work on August 17, 2020. The MDC building will remain closed until September 8, 2020, at which time we will reopen to students to study as their term begins online. Special considerations have been made for students attending the in-person portion of their classes starting October 19, 2020.
All students, faculty, staff, and guests entering our building should review the following guidelines as we reopen our building safely.
COVID-19 GUIDELINES FOR BUILDING USE
The MDC COVID-19 Response team meets weekly to discuss any recommendations released from the Ministry of Health in order to enact and maintain policies for MDC that meet or exceed these recommendations. Our desire is to make the building as safe as possible for Faculty, Staff and student use. Custodial staff have special directives to clean the building extensively each day, with washrooms and common surfaces like doorknobs being cleaned at least twice a day or more often as necessary.
ENTERING THE BUILDING
Each person entering the building is to self-identify if they have any symptoms that would prevent them from entering, those experiencing even mild symptoms are asked to stay home.
Signage posted throughout the building clearly communicates our requirement to self-identify and not enter the building if they have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days, believe they could have been exposed to someone with COVID-like symptoms, or is experiencing any of the following symptoms: cough, difficulty breathing, muscle aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat, or runny nose.
When entering the building please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Enter at the main entrance only. All other doors are exit only.
- Each person entering the building should sign-in and declare that they have read and comply with the posted requirements for entry.
- Hand sanitizer is available at the main entrance for use prior to entering the building
- In keeping with municipal bylaws, face masks must be worn at all times in the public areas of the building. Complimentary disposable masks are available at the main entrance.
WHILE IN THE BUILDING
Hand sanitizer is located throughout the building for your regular use in addition to hand washing.
Washrooms are restricted to single occupancy to facilitate social distancing when entering and exiting. Kindly knock before entering and wait outside in the designated spot until the washroom is available.
Please be aware of and obey all posted signage throughout the building:
- Maintain 2m social distancing from others where possible while in the building
- When walking in the hallways, please keep to the right to maintain social distancing
- Staircases are ONE WAY and are clearly marked. To go UP, please use either the staircase in Cullen Hall or the hallway from the Archives. All other staircases are DOWN only
- Where possible, doors will be propped open to reduce the use of common surfaces
GUIDELINES FOR STUDENTS
In addition to the General Guidelines for Building use, the following additional information relates to student use of the building and facilities.
- MDC will reopen to the public on September 8, 2020. Hours of operation will be Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 6pm. Students are asked to only use the building during these hours.
ARRIVING TO MDC
- A member of the Administrative Staff will be present at the main entrance prior to each class in order to greet students and ensure they are aware of the guidelines for use of the building and have signed in.
- The currently maximum capacity for the building is 50, which includes students and GA’s. Staff and Faculty are not included in this total. To ensure we do not exceed maximum building capacity, students are asked to arrive for class no earlier than 30 minutes prior to class and not enter the classroom until the class start time to allow for the classroom to be cleaned between classes. Following class, students should exit promptly to facilitate cleaning, and are asked to exit the building within 30 minutes of the end of class. Students may wait in Cullen Hall when not in class, observing social distancing at all times.
- In keeping with municipal by-laws, face masks must be worn at all times in the public areas of the building, including the classroom. Complimentary disposable masks are available at the main entrance.
- Class breaks will be staggered to limit the number of people using common areas and washrooms at the same time.
- As bathrooms are restricted to single occupancy, take a moment to familiarize yourself with the location of alternate washrooms for your use. Each floor has two sets of washrooms at either end of the hall. Besides MDC, public washrooms are located across the street in Wilson Hall or in the McMaster University Student Centre.
- The student kitchen will be closed for use, but the fridge remains accessible. Microwaves and casual seating will be available in Cullen Hall for student use.
STUDENT STUDY SPACE
- Student Study Rooms will reopen on September 8, 2020. The following rooms are available for students to use during business hours only (8:30am- 6:00pm), a sign-up sheet for each space is available on the door. Please note, during our hybrid in-class sessions, the use of these rooms may be restricted in order to manage our maximum building capacity. A workspace may be reserved for the day on a first come, first serve basis. All belongings must be removed daily after use.
Study Room 151 Max capacity: 11
Study Room 150 Max capacity: 13
McNally Reading Room Max capacity: 8
Please do not reshelve books after use. Please place used books on the book cart in McNally so they can be disinfected and returned to the shelf.
- The GA Office reopens August 17, 2020. Masks should be worn at all times as social distancing cannot be guaranteed. For those who have requested a designated workspace, a desk in the GA office will be assigned. Schedules will be taken into account to promote social distancing when assigning workspace. Additionally, room 144 will be set aside for ad hoc GA sign ups, with a maximum capacity of 8. Unless a desk is assigned for the semester, please do not leave any personal belongings behind after each day.
- The bookstore will be open for in-person shopping by appointment only, starting September 8, 2020. Textbooks can be ordered ahead of time with free delivery by contacting Bernice at email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL CLEANING AND SANITIZING
- Custodial staff are cleaning the entire building extensively each day. For additional peace of mind, students may clean their own workspace prior to use, using cleaning supplies provided in common areas (study rooms, GA office, etc.).